Thursday, August 06, 2009

Take me out to the ball game

Take me out to the ball game.
Remember how in May I mentioned the boys played tball in March? Now that it's August I thought I should let you see pictures of opening day.

Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks.

The boys had a splendid season. They had a little trouble transitioning from hitting a pitched ball to hitting off the "T". Seemed silly to me to practice the "pre" skill when you already know how to do it right, but on the other hand, they needed the confidence in "tball" more than they needed lifelong skill.
I don't care if I never come back.
Cause it's root root root for America's Game.
It took me a while to find our team name on the roster. I thought "America's Game" described the whole sport, not just our team. No wonder we were the favorite. (The tball version of the Dallas Cowboys).
If they don't win, well that's impossible.
1st week: Mom, who won? You both did. You mean it was a tie? Sure.
2nd week: Mom, who won? You both did? It was a tie AGAIN? Sure.
How do you explain to competitive kids why the league won't keep score in tball?
For it's 1-2-3- strikes, no one strikes out, at the old ball game.
Tackler especially was EXTREMELY upset to be forced to a stop at first when he could clearly have made a homerun. Ah, some day the rules will catch up to them.

Stay tuned for football - and the disappointment that abounds when the no tackling rule is explained.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rockholme Lodge said...

what do you mean "no tackling"

It's not football if there's no tackling! C'mon now. Find a REAL league for these guys. We don't want them growing up playing like...................Cowboys!

Charlotte said...

No tackling is a guideline, right? It was almost the end of the season before I found out they weren't keeping score for Ryan's team. I can see when they're 5, but 11? Come on!

Twinlinebackers said...

Hmmm. That might really cheer him up if we explain that it's just a guideline but he can go ahead and tackle anyone he wants.

If my kids get to be 11 with no score I think I might buy a 10 ft scoreboard and do it myself. We are doing a great job of raising future democrats in this nation.