A nearby college hosted an Earth Day "festival" this spring so the kids and I went. Dad opted out with the words "I'm not going anywhere near those freaks"
5 yr old: Dad, what's a freak?
Mom: Anyone who does not share dad's viewpoint.
Dad: (sheepish shrug)
In my little bubble the words Earth Day signify a celebration of this wonderful earth which Heavenly Father gave us. It didn't occur to me it was a political opportunity to cram down our throats how we are killing the earth. (I like my bubble). And in a way I was right. Well, I wasn't right, but we were both wrong. It turned out, it wasn't Earth Day at all. It was Dichotomy Day!
We made our way around the booths perusing their posters and turning down their full color brochures proclaiming all the ways we can cut down our waste. The kids painted a recycled camel made from all post consumer product...not including the three rolls of packing tape required to hold the thing together...Or the 15 bottles of of paint, glue, pompoms and glitter. But I digress. We enjoyed several crafts which consumed more natural resources than we manage to use in 6 months of art at home.
The bottom sand art is my work of art. I thought it was one Pretty Girl would enjoy doing so I tried to get her involved in it. As you can see by the look on her face, she is still mad that I pulled her away from the toxic non washable painting of the camel.5 yr old: Dad, what's a freak?
Mom: Anyone who does not share dad's viewpoint.
Dad: (sheepish shrug)
In my little bubble the words Earth Day signify a celebration of this wonderful earth which Heavenly Father gave us. It didn't occur to me it was a political opportunity to cram down our throats how we are killing the earth. (I like my bubble). And in a way I was right. Well, I wasn't right, but we were both wrong. It turned out, it wasn't Earth Day at all. It was Dichotomy Day!

We made our way around the booths perusing their posters and turning down their full color brochures proclaiming all the ways we can cut down our waste. The kids painted a recycled camel made from all post consumer product...not including the three rolls of packing tape required to hold the thing together...Or the 15 bottles of of paint, glue, pompoms and glitter. But I digress. We enjoyed several crafts which consumed more natural resources than we manage to use in 6 months of art at home.
All in all, being one of the 4 days of warm sunny spring we've had so far, we had a wonderful time. Oh, and speaking of absurd, ridiculous political hooey, I'm searching for a Ford Excursion. If there is any chance at all that my driving a gas guzzler could bring on some warmer weather around here, I'm in.






2 comments:
I'm glad you found the right word. Sorry I couldn't help. My brain is about fried from overuse.
I suspect Dad's grin was more "yeah, so what" than "sheepish".
Of course, I agree with your observations of the fair itself. I wouldn't go so far as to call them all freaks, but they do often tend to miss a few relevant issues as they stress their viewpoint.
Post a Comment