Saturday, December 20, 2008

You can't stop us from partying

A couple days ago the trusty weatherman predicted a winter storm. I got a call asking if the party was still on? Storm? Pshaw. Of course it's still on. Dad took the boys out for the day (I know, most people huddle inside by a fire. Not him). At 3pm he called from the road. "The good news is I'm 6 miles away. The bad news is I have been 6 miles away for 45 minutes". He told me to call the guests to inform them that although the party was still on, we would understand if they bailed.
At 6pm night Dad was shoveling us out from under the heap and I wasn't sure if anyone was coming. Figuring they needed something to do in place of a party I put the boys to work on cookies. And was pleasantly surprised to learn they could roll, cut, and place on the tray without assistance. Whoopee for me!
The boys had wanted a Santa party. I thought they would feel shafted having their birthday so close to Christmas but apparently they are embracing it. We told everyone to don red and even had three people (if you include me) show up in Santa hats. Their list guest list was short (I only had to make 4 invitations) but since they wanted whole families instead of just 5 yr olds we ended up with quite a crowd when the guests finally filtered in. The first showed up at 6:15 (they live next door so had no trouble navigating the roads). When dad finished shoveling he went to pick up one couple and then shower because the 3 hours of shoveling didn't serve him well so even he didn't join us until almost 8, shortly before our last family arrived.
Only a few of the kids got to decorate cookies and we decided to forego the cute snowman and paper ball ornament activities I had planned and we moved straight onto cake (Could you think of a more appropriate cake for a snowstorm party? We offered hot chocolate to counteract the chilly nature of the icecream cake):
and presents:
And since dad put himself in charge of the boy's presents from us, this is what they got:Don't tell me you're surprised. I would try to tell you he was more excited than them, but they were pretty darn excited. They are wearing them again today and probably will again tomorrow after church and Monday and....

11 comments:

Vee said...

Happy Birthday Prince and Tackler!! It looks like the party was a lot of fun. I love the matching jersey's it cracked me up, and no it didn't surprise me. I just learned this interesting tidbit; there is more ice cream sold during the winter than there is during the summer. So I think your cakes were perfect!

Vi said...

How fun- Happy Birthday Boys! It is kinda hard having a birthday near Christmas... even with Cassie's in October I have no idea what to get her now because she got like everything for her bday! Cute collages of pics!

Charlotte said...

It was fun. Thanks for having us!

Emma Jo said...

Whoa, I can't believe there are so many people out there that are braver than us!! OK, yes I can. I don't like to drive in snow. It looks like you had fun!! I don't suppose there is any cake left?

Twinlinebackers said...

Yes Vi. Exactly. I think everyone should celebrate their birthday in the summer when they need stuff.

Emily - don't feel too bad. If you look carefully at the guests, you will see the Laters were the only truly brave ones. The others walked or were driven by my hubby. A whole mile. So no one blames you. We just missed you that's all.

Maree said...

I either didn't know or didn't remember that our boys were so close in birthdates. My Toph was due Christmas day, but since I get to have diabetes when I'm prego, I also get to deliver a little earlier. We celebrated Toph's 8th birthday yesterday. He and his sister will be having a combo party in February, after we move. How funny--more in common than I thought. Happy Birthday boys!

Rockholme Lodge said...

Glad to see the boys had fun. Nothing like winter weather to add a few challenges to life. Too bad their Dad couldn't find something decent for the boys.

Jeannie Young said...

Looks like a fun party! Happy Birthday to your boys!

Carrie and Spencer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Twinlinebackers said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Care Bear said...

too bad "Dad" is behind the times. Doesnt he realize Julius Jones decided to play for a better team then those stinkin Cowboys!! (hint hint...he plays for the SEAHAWKS!!!)
12/24/08 1:32 PM