At first of course it was fleeting - did she just do that? I was incredibly impressed the day she stood up in the middle of the floor and bridged that gap. Yep, she was definitely walking. For about 3 weeks I told people she could walk 3 steps and didn't think she'd ever go farther than that. Eventually she stretched her 3 steps to 6 steps and then 10 steps but still preferred crawling, possibly because she wanted to avoid spills like this....
Though it's fun to have something to tell about when family and friends ask what's new, that was my only reason for wanting the process to move along. Despite what your pediatrician might tell you, crawling is incredibly important for developing the brain synapses and the more crawling the better. That means, despite being fun to boast about, early walking is not a great thing. So I was perfectly happy to have a baby who crawled everywhere but whom I could boast could walk. Unfortunately, you can't have it both ways. At least not for long. Two weeks ago she decided she was now a walker and she walks everywhere. The only time she crawls now is if she has been tackled and needs to crawl out from under someone. So though I am sad to see the crawling end, I ADORE watching her walk. She is actually quite steady but looks like she's walking on stilts. We went to a birthday party last week for a 53 year old neighbor and she stole the show. She had a large open room and walked in circles, chasing her brothers who were chasing balloons.




4 comments:
Watching older siblings does have a way of accelerating such processes as learning to walk. She's been crawling and otherwise moving about for quite awhile, so I don't think we have to worry about any shortage of crawling time with her!
Hey I think I should be concerend. Never crawled a day in my life. Of course, I am not exactly coordinated. Then again my oldest didn't crawl and she is quite athletic, so there you go.
She is doing a great job walking. I love the first walk before they learn how to bend their legs right!
Maybe there is something to the crawling thing. Apparently I can't spell either.
I loved watching my babies learn to walk. It is just too much fun watching them take those first tentative steps. And the wobbly way they walk at first? Too precious.
Post a Comment