Monday, September 22, 2008

Stroll with Me

We had a fun week around here last week except Thursday. While dad and boy were out getting a flat tire on the van, I was at home discovering that our computer crashed.




First I mourned the several hundred dollar
s for new tires (haven't we had our share of flats?), then I got to mourn the money for a new computer.

My first gallant thought was we would just wait until we had the money before replacing the computer.

Then I realized my entire life revolves around this hunk of machinery. I had to walk to the neighbor's house to look up a phone number because we don't even use a phone book.



How could I keep track of my
sewing projects or the boys schooling? How could I blog?

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks ... what about all those pictures I have been haphazardly throwing on the computer and not backing up? And that's when the real mourning began.

And the praying. Is it wrong to pray for the life of a computer? What if pictures are family history? What if you've lost them because you're an idiot?

In the end, it turned out to be the monitor, not the computer.



We
still have our old dinosaur so now I am looking at a small blurry screen and blogging isn't quite as fun. Especially since my keyboard doesn't fit on the desk with the monitor and keeps falling into my lap.


All of this is my long winded way of explaining why it's been over a week since I posted. I have
spent my computer time backing up 3 years of pictures. I'm not a complete idiot, I diligently backed up the first two. (Um, except my method didn't work, but let's not revisit my idiot status).

It wasn't until I started blogging and downloading pictures biweekly instead of monthly that the concept of backing up flew from my pretty little head. We went through all our old pictures, deleting stupid shots and videos. By "we" I mean the boys hung on me asking to see more and more videos.
It was a fun trip down memory lane as you can see.

I started this post by saying it was an uneventful week, until I read my friend's post about last week and realized we actually did a LOT. I don't know if I'll catch up enough to tell you about it so go read her post about my life. I am the friend mentioned on Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. Hmm. I wonder if she's a little sick of us by now.

7 comments:

Roemmele Family said...

This happened to us but it wasn't just the monitor. We were actually VERY lucky because the hard drive hadn't crashed completely but was running VERY slow and just about ready to crash. We were able to take it to a computer place to have the pictures all pulled before it did completely crash. We now back up our pictures with every download. Glad to hear you didn't lose them.

Charlotte said...

Glad it was just the monitor. Took me a minute to realize those were younger versions of your kids. I could never get sick of you. Although I think I need to sleep for a week (and not use up anymore gasoline!)

Emma Jo said...

I love trips down memory lane...however I do not like mean computers that scare you into thinking you have lost invaluable information...so when are we going to finish projects, hmmm?

Twinlinebackers said...

Charlotte - did you think I just stuck in random kids?

Emily - come on over. I'm just sitting here. I can't finish my bday banner until I find a cute font to use and so far nothing has struck me. Do you know what font your friend used?

Janie Smith said...

Hey wonderful woman!

I love your blog! Can you write my blog posts too? Thanks- I know you have lots of extra time on your hands. :)
Your kids are darling. I can't believe how big PG is!

Tell Patrick hello from us. We miss you guys!

Karla said...

What a pain! I hope you got everything safely backed up. I personally wonder if I should have a third back up somwhere - my photos are just too precious! Hope things are looking up and you don't get any flats for a long, long time.

Charlotte said...

When the site first pulled up I thought you had pictures of Matthew. Being a good mom, it took me a couple of seconds to see I was wrong. Then I was confused. Then I recognized your boys.