which I had not managed to finish the night before despite my best 2am efforts.
When I finished my book the four of them left me. All alone. For several hours. So I worked on my scrapbook. Well, I attempted. Mostly my brain was still fried on that subject so I did what I always do when I procrastinate a craft project, I organized. My sewing room looks better even if my wedding scrapbook is teetering on the edge of nonexistence. My reverie was interrupted by a quick birthday dropoff from a fabulous friend who gave me a bag of amazing goodies ~ including the beautiful necklace and earrings in the picture below. I LOVE presents from friends because I can't stand obligatory giving. A present should be from the heart - a spontaneous gesture of goodwill. Since I was expecting nothing from this friend, I know she genuinely wanted to celebrate my birthday and that touched me. ....I will assume it has nothing to do with her turning the big 3-0 in 10 days. No, I think if she was planting the seeds of reciprocity, she would have bought me a car instead of a spool of ribbon....
After my day of peaceful celebration, I was treated to a wonderful dinner out by our dear friends. They are obligated to spoil my children because they have cast themselves into the role of pseudo grandparents; but have no official hold on me. They just love me for reasons undisclosed. My birthday dinner was a Salmon Walnut Salad with gorgonzola dressing. If you want to win my heart, that is exactly the way to do it.

After dinner we retired to their house for Carvel icecream cake (the only cake worth eating) shaped like a giant M&M in honor of the boys, whom they shower with M&Ms entirely too often. I opened presents from my kids and husband and my brother's family, everything right off my wishlist (how often do you get everything you ever wanted?). The boys were coached and tried really hard to keep the secrets entrusted them. "Mom, open your water bottles!" and "You have one more present, it's a unicycle." Yes, a unicycle. Dad worked hard to hide it in the bathroom hoping I would have to take a kid potty and find it. The plan was foiled but at least I didn't have to do potty duty. See me on it above? If I get brave this week I'll have the boys video what I look like on it. "Mom, you need a unicycle with training wheels!" Yes boys, I believe that's called a tricycle. Something I am perhaps more cut out for.
See this sleeping angel with really long legs? She has been on the verge of using them for several weeks now. I am surprised it has taken her this long considering how long she has been standing unassisted but tonight she finally took her first two steps. A couple weeks ago she learned to readjust her footing while standing in a way that almost looked like steps but they were really just shifts, not attempts to walk. She is quite adept at pulling to a stand but tonight she stood from a seated position in the middle of the floor. Before I was able to replace my jaw she took the two steps required to reach the couch where I was lounging. And then we put her to bed. What a reward for her hard work. Tomorrow we shall see if she puts on a repeat performance and dashes through the house or if she reverts back to crawling faster than the speed of light. Either way, I'm pretty doomed.





8 comments:
Happy Birthday! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. You are lucky to have friends and family who love you so much, even if the presents were obligatory, I can see that they were from the heart. And how lucky you are to have psuedo grandparents for your kids. I live far away from my parents and would love to have that blessing for my kids!
A unicycle? I wanna try! and now all that is going through my head is that you ate a yummy salad and I forgot to eat dinner...but I DO have some M&Ms downstairs.
I am very blessed. I felt thoroughly spoiled this year. Come on over Emma Jo. I'd much put a video of you trying to ride it than me on my blog!
Happy Birthday. I had no idea one was coming up. Of course, I can barely remember my own. My childrens usually cross my mind only a week or so before. And I can't tell you how often I have had to call siblings and parents to apologize a week later. But I am glad you had a happy one. I can't wait to see the unicycle!
YAY- happy birthday- looks like you had a blast!
Happy be-lated Birthday! I would love to see the video of you on the unicycle. :o) And I love having psuedo grandparents for my kids...be glad yours aren't moving at the end of the month. :o(
I'm not too sure I'm willing to try that unicycle!
You would have enjoyed this week here. I went backpacking with Brian and Michelle. We had a great time, but it took 2 days to unkink the leg muscles!
I'm glad you had a happy birthday. Where is that place you guys went to eat? It sounds so good. I had to laugh about the boys keeping your secrets. It reminds me of Maggie. Ah well they are so cute it's hard to get mad at them for spilling your birthday secrets.
Post a Comment