Caught up on our vacation (from which we have been home a full month), I can now focus my energy (haha! Like I have any energy!) on keeping you abreast of our current happenings. I apologize for the wordy post. I have been lonely this month without my errant husband so I will talk to you instead.
Last Umday (meaning I have no idea what day it was but sometime within the past week), Dad and Tackler had a day to themselves. They went to the driving range and spent time with Uncle Ricky and a cousin or two. Prince and I had a wonderful evening in playing Othello. He wanted to play an "adult game" and took right to it.

We spent Friday with our friends who live delightfully right on the beach. We spent the morning and evening scrapbooking and the afternoon kayaking. We had 9 kids total so I took the 7 who cared out in the kayak 2 at a time. The 1st time I went to the point on the right that you see in the middle left picture. The 2nd time I went 3/4 of the way to the point on the left. The 3rd time I went in a big circle, wherever the waves took me. A couple times I started back toward shore but the tide took me left instead, so I went with it. I figured I'd eventually make it back but I was WAY too tired to fight the waves a 3rd time. I closed out the evening by watching 8 kids for a couple hours.
But it wasn't until Saturday that I really started to feel it. I had a Mary Kay order to mail but I had not had access to the car all week so I finally gave up and walked to the post office pushing 3 kids in a stroller. Walking up one of the monster hills on the way home Prince commented "You are walking really slowly" Ya think? My muscles were barely moving. Halfway home the rear wheel broke. I was able to precariously balance it but that shifted the balance and the front wheel did not touch the ground. I had to explain the ENTIRE way home why the front wheel wasn't working if the back wheel broke. When we finally hit a segment with sidewalks, I made the boys walk. After all that kayak paddling, my arms did not appreciate fighting with a wayward double stroller.
Once I finally made it home I sat and did nothing for a couple hours. I could barely feel my body. But eventually messiness overcame me and I managed to get the house clean before the Sabbath. I will be overjoyed when June ends and I get a car AND a husband.

Lately several moms have asked where I stand on the gun issue. Before I had a chance to think about whether or not to allow toy guns in the house, the boys started quoting the Book of Mormon ~ wars and all. When they started "killing" each other at age 2 and were told we don't kill people they responded by saying "But Nephi did." Needless to say, a plastic gun cannot hold a candle to daily war stories even if they are scriptural. And then there is the argument that boys will turn anything into a gun. See below ~ Prince discovered my hot glue gun. Those diligent moms who keep guns out of their homes...do you suppose they also forgo crafting?

Why pictures of sleeping children? Because I have never in my 4.5 years of mothering have I appreciated sleeping children as much as I do right now. The boys are tired, stir crazy, missing dad and at each other's throats. I was at my wit's end today, ready for a break. Also, it is Pretty Girl's first night in a crib. She has slept in the bassinet until now. Yes, she fills it. Completely. The boys moved to a bed at 14 months so why move a 7 month old into a crib? Especially considering how long it took me to get it up? I am afraid to tell you because you'll laugh. Maybe I should just say she's outgrowing her bassinet. The real reason? I found the softest fuzziest pink sheets you've ever seen. They are like those soft baby blankets the women at baby showers always rub against their faces. But in a sheet. I had to buy them. And so I had to set up a crib to use them. There you have it...it's not like you didn't already think I was crazy.
Besides, my mom found frogs in tutus to match the frogs in the boys room. We'll have a little pink corner in the green room. Cute huh? Can't do that without a crib. =)Last Umday (meaning I have no idea what day it was but sometime within the past week), Dad and Tackler had a day to themselves. They went to the driving range and spent time with Uncle Ricky and a cousin or two. Prince and I had a wonderful evening in playing Othello. He wanted to play an "adult game" and took right to it.
We spent Friday with our friends who live delightfully right on the beach. We spent the morning and evening scrapbooking and the afternoon kayaking. We had 9 kids total so I took the 7 who cared out in the kayak 2 at a time. The 1st time I went to the point on the right that you see in the middle left picture. The 2nd time I went 3/4 of the way to the point on the left. The 3rd time I went in a big circle, wherever the waves took me. A couple times I started back toward shore but the tide took me left instead, so I went with it. I figured I'd eventually make it back but I was WAY too tired to fight the waves a 3rd time. I closed out the evening by watching 8 kids for a couple hours.
But it wasn't until Saturday that I really started to feel it. I had a Mary Kay order to mail but I had not had access to the car all week so I finally gave up and walked to the post office pushing 3 kids in a stroller. Walking up one of the monster hills on the way home Prince commented "You are walking really slowly" Ya think? My muscles were barely moving. Halfway home the rear wheel broke. I was able to precariously balance it but that shifted the balance and the front wheel did not touch the ground. I had to explain the ENTIRE way home why the front wheel wasn't working if the back wheel broke. When we finally hit a segment with sidewalks, I made the boys walk. After all that kayak paddling, my arms did not appreciate fighting with a wayward double stroller.
Once I finally made it home I sat and did nothing for a couple hours. I could barely feel my body. But eventually messiness overcame me and I managed to get the house clean before the Sabbath. I will be overjoyed when June ends and I get a car AND a husband.

Lately several moms have asked where I stand on the gun issue. Before I had a chance to think about whether or not to allow toy guns in the house, the boys started quoting the Book of Mormon ~ wars and all. When they started "killing" each other at age 2 and were told we don't kill people they responded by saying "But Nephi did." Needless to say, a plastic gun cannot hold a candle to daily war stories even if they are scriptural. And then there is the argument that boys will turn anything into a gun. See below ~ Prince discovered my hot glue gun. Those diligent moms who keep guns out of their homes...do you suppose they also forgo crafting?

Why pictures of sleeping children? Because I have never in my 4.5 years of mothering have I appreciated sleeping children as much as I do right now. The boys are tired, stir crazy, missing dad and at each other's throats. I was at my wit's end today, ready for a break. Also, it is Pretty Girl's first night in a crib. She has slept in the bassinet until now. Yes, she fills it. Completely. The boys moved to a bed at 14 months so why move a 7 month old into a crib? Especially considering how long it took me to get it up? I am afraid to tell you because you'll laugh. Maybe I should just say she's outgrowing her bassinet. The real reason? I found the softest fuzziest pink sheets you've ever seen. They are like those soft baby blankets the women at baby showers always rub against their faces. But in a sheet. I had to buy them. And so I had to set up a crib to use them. There you have it...it's not like you didn't already think I was crazy.





5 comments:
Sleeping children pictures just make me feel relaxed automatically. I haven't made it upstairs in your house yet, maybe next time to sneak a peek!
I think I saw you pushing that stroller up the street but instead of stopping I assumed you were out on a fun outing with your kids and being not lazy like the rest of us that day. These days I find that the kids are the best (and only!)exercise I get.
Awww. . .this is cute. It looks like you guys are having a blast this summer. Question for you- how have you kept a girl who climbs entire flights of stairs in a bassinet until now? And where's Patrick? Did I miss that explanation somewhere? I better go back and look. . .
Did I forget to post the day she tried to climb out of the bassinet? I found her with one leg in, one leg and the weight of her body out, clinging to our bed for dear life.
She hasn't tried climbing out since. Besides, she is a pampered spoiled girl who gets rescued as soon as she calls me.
Oh, and Dad has just been working a lot but that will end on Monday. Yippee!
Emily ~ you are welcome upstairs anytime no one is sleeping up there. Only the kids room is decorated so there isn't much to show off.
Cute kids as expected! Hannah looks like both brothers. What a glam combo! That said, I will address your questions about dirty kitchens and crumbs:
Dogs are seriously great crumb vacuums if you can't implement the changes described here. The very best way to keep a kitchen clean is to stay out of it. When you don't eat out, serve packaged items like hot pockets for dinner and granola bars for breakfast. Bananas will do for fresh items and can constitute lunch. Don't have useful pans and be sure to be out of most ingredients. Everything you have should be too hard to reach. The kitchen should of a new nonetheless be state-of-the-art and look cook-friendly. I personally know someone for whom this works well, and she's a great dinner companion at a decent restaurant. Caution: If you succeed in maintaining a model kitchen, you may feel compelled to keep the rest of the house in perfect order, which might require moving into a hotel. C'est la vie avec les enfants beaux.
Post a Comment